STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Quilt Canada Part 2

The Trend Tex Challenge, one of the national shows that can be seen each year at the annual CQA/ACC Conference, is a fundraiser for CQA. Fabrics are generously donated by Trend Tex Fabrics; they are cut up and packaged into kits which are sold to members and the public. Each person gets the same five fabrics, 1/4 meter of each. Participants  may choose to add up to two more fabrics. Quilted pieces are made on the chosen theme and donated back to CQA, then are sold by silent auction at the Conference.

The pieces are judged and prizes are awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, as well as the Trend Tex Award - this piece must use only the five original fabrics, and is given back to Trend Tex Fabrics to hang in their Board Office. Each of the three judges get to choose their favourite for a Judges Choice Award, and the viewers vote for their favourite to win the Viewers Choice Award, announced at the close of show.

This year's theme was "At Home in my Garden by the Sea" and 78 wallhangings were submitted.

 So, without further ado, here are the prize winners! First the Trend Tex Award, "Home Sweet Home"  by Lise Belanger of Trois Pistoles, Quebec. (Top right)


First prize was awarded to  "Paradise" by Pam Kierstead of  Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia (at left)





The Second prize winner was "Picture Perfect" by Joanne Love of Whitehorse Yukon.







Third prize winner was "McPerren  Tartan" by Chris Perren of Canmore Alberta. I have to say, this piece was getting lots of attention and admiration from viewers each time I visited the Challenge. I think people were charmed by the kilt and those darling dimpled knees!















 Judge's Choice winners were:

 "Sweet Peas by the Sea" by Berna Ostapovitch of  Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.



















"Hide and Seek in Our Garden" by Karen Menzies of Oshawa, Ontario














 and lastly "My old Schoolhouse home sits in my grandmother's flower garden by the sea" by Tracy Lawko of Toronto Ontario. I have to admit, I somehow missed getting a photo of this one, so I have "borrowed" this photo from the Quilt Canada Blog.

 I do not know, at this point, who won the Viewer's Choice Award. When I find out, if I have a photo of that winner, I will add it here.

In another post, I'll share more of the Trend Tex Challenge entries.. Y'all come back now...

Piece,
Linda


 "You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have."
~ Maya Angelou

5 comments:

Dolores said...

Thanks for showing these. I always love to see how people interpret the theme using the fabrics given. Quite a challenge.

Pamela Gordon said...

Oh my that top one is stunning! But, I do love the kilt one too. What gorgeous quilts and colours.

Karen said...

I knew you'd have great pictures. Looking forward to seeing more!

GailM. said...

I'm always so impressed with how talented the trend-tex participants are. Love all them..

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Great pictures Linda. Thanks for sharing! Looks like it's a wonderful and inspirational quilt show.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...