STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

We All Make Mistakes....

Or at least I do... Thank goodness for good friends. What would we do without them? I am especially grateful for good friends with sharp eyesight!! Did anyone else notice the mistake in my quilt?  Did you not see it, or were you just too kind to mention it to me? Look closely at the upper left corner- see that block right in the corner - it's turned the WRONG way!! I don't know how I missed that- I checked and double checked and triple checked the blocks as I laid out the rows, to be sure they were all oriented the correct way, that the print in each sashing strip wasn't nearby the same print in the neighbouring blocks and so on. (Yes, I'm a little anal. "Random" is not really my thing...) Obviously I just turned a block and sewed the sashing strip to the wrong side of the block as I was doing the last row- and yes it was the very last block. I can't believe I didn't notice it when it was all together... I guess it's true - when you've looked at something for so long, you don't see the details anymore...
So a HUGE Thank You to my friend Sandi Mac whose sharp eyes noticed it - she called me last night, not too long after the post went up and pointed out my boo-boo. She knows me well enough to know I would want to be told!! Aren't I lucky to have such a good friend? So thanks again, "eagle-eyes" Sandi!!
Hubby said to leave it, after all I am giving this away as a "charity" quilt, and would it even be noticed anyway? But I knew it was there and I just couldn't leave it. At least it was on a corner, so it was easy to "get at".. it could have been right smack in the middle, requiring even more ripping out... It took me 45-50 minutes to fix. My stitches were a little shorter than usual- great for security when you know a quilt will be laundered frequently, not so great when you have to pick them out... I turned the block, but also had to turn the sashing strip and the ninepatch because I had added an extra 1/8th of an inch all around the perimeter of the quilt to allow for the binding seam. (On a larger quilt, I like to sew the binding on with a 3/8th inch seam using my walking foot, so to keep the ninepatches on the perimeter looking right, I had added that extra 1/8th of an inch to the ninepatches and the outermost sashing strips.) By this time it was 11:15p.m. and I still had to piece the backing, square it up, give everything a final press and fold it up for delivery this morning to the long-armer. So, sorry, no new photo of the top...it was way too late for photography when I finally headed to bed. You'll just have to trust me, it is correct now...
So, dear readers, what would you have done? Would you have left it as it was, or fixed the mistake? And for the future.. if you are ever looking at a photo of one of my projects and you think something looks wrong.. please let me know. I will appreciate it and I'll offer my heartfelt thanks!!
And speaking of things being wrong, there's much blogger buzz today about a blog that is stealing posts and/or photos from others and posting them as their own.  My friend Karen, for one, has written about it here. If you EVER see any of my photos or writing anywhere else other than on this blog, please let me know. I do have a Copyright Notice at the top of my sidebar, but apparently it means nothing to some folks. I think I just might start putting my watermark across the centre of my photos. Sorry if you find it annoying,  but perhaps it will prevent photo theft.
 
Peace,
Linda

"Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?" ~ L.M. Montgomery

15 comments:

Dolores said...

I did spot it right away. There are times when we are too close to our own work. It's the same with editing. One cannot edit one's own writing - errors are not noticed.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't noticed your mistake. I was so taken with the beauty of it. I am told by experienced quilters that a mistake makes a quilt original. You definitely are much happier with the finished quilt by fixing it. I think you did a fabulous job with this quilt.

Pamela Gordon said...

Oh Linda, when I got your email I thought, there's a mistake in the quilt and I didn't notice it, and when I opened your blog I looked it over carefully and found it before I read your post. :) Your friend has a good eye and I'm glad she told you. Thankfully it was on the corner! And that's why I don't quilt or sew. LOL The quilt is really beautiful and I know it will be appreciated.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I would not have noticed until it was too late! I hope you have a good day now. I bet you can close your eyes and see blue! Hugs, Diane

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

Nope, I didn't notice, Linda... but in my own work mistakes drive me bonkers and MUST be fixed. The ultimate fate of a project has nothing to do with whether I would fix it, either. Yes, we are a tad anal *TeeHee*

GailM. said...

I'm like your hubby. I would have left it. This is a beautiful quilt This reminds me that I have a Veterans quilt to finish too..

Yes, I've been reading about this quilt site that is poaching. I looked around today to see if I could see anything that I recognized, but I didn't....

Linda H said...

I found posts by two bloggers I know, on this scraper site. I hope enough people complain that it gets shut down soon...

Linda said...

I certainly would have let you know if I noticed it. I made a mistake before and was so grateful to have another blogger let me know. I definitely would fix it. Your quilt is just gorgeous. Awesome job!

Jeanna said...

I missed it totally Linda, I was so taken by the pretty colors. Sandi has that eagle eye!

I had not heard of someone stealing other's blog photos but I will go back and follow your link.

I started watermarking my photos but had given up...I may start again now.

Thanks for the heads up :)

I still love your quilt top.

Dasha said...

I had not noticed the error Linda, because I read the post in a hurry as I had to go out.
I'm with you though - I would definitely have unpicked and redone that block. I just could not have let it be.

Accroquilt said...

This site is now closed. See here

http://christaquiltsblog.com/2014/04/09/very-important-copyright-infringement-problem-no-pics-please-read/

My Maine Blog said...

Hi Linda...your quilt is beautiful mistake or no mistake...it just makes it more unique I think...kinda' like a few scratches on the coffee table ...they make it yours...in a special kind of way. To me...what you do is priceless and so, so beautiful. I also wanted to comment on the problem of people copying photos. I have had that problem since I started posting my photos on any social media. I also found out that no matter if you have a copyright or not once we put our stuff on social websites the copyright is kind of a gray area on public domains. I even tried putting a watermark too but anyone who wants to copy your photos there are tools that can erase the watermark and it would never show. I found this out the hard way when I happened to be looking on a hotel website in Boston to make a reservation and low and behold there was one of my photos that they were using to advertise the city highlights. It was a photo I had taken of Fanueil Hall one fall that I was there. So I finally just gave up and said oh well guess I'll just take it as a back-handed compliment and go with the flow. It is kind of frustrating I have to say especially if I was selling my photography I'd be really mad but since I'm not well maybe someone can make some money from them. Just wanted you to know it's happening everywhere lately. Hope all is well with you and I'll be happy to see some green grass soon and see the end of all our snow. It's about time. :)
Hugs, Kathy

Lee said...

I would have been ripping stitches, just like you. Can't have a quilt that has a "personality" that is different than your own, eh?!

You may remember that I'm partial to those small nine-patch corner stones too, and in blue - lovely contrast to the chevron effect.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

I had to look through your quilt blocks a couple of times before I saw the booboo. Yes, I would definitely have like to have been told if it had been me and yes, I would have fixed it especially since you already had put so much work into it. I hadn't heard about the blogger picture theft. Thanks for the link and I'll go over now to read what Karen says about it.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Linda, You know I probably would have changed it too, just because I know its there... but my eagle eyes weren't working because I looked at it a couple times all over and completely overlooked the turned block, probably because I was admiring your gorgeous work so much. Love this quilt!!!
My husband would have said the same as your husband tho.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...