STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, June 15, 2015

A New Bulb Favourite




I feel a bit behind in the garden, but maybe I'm not the only one... Look at what is currently blooming. The tag says "Flowering Period: April-May". Well maybe it blooms somewhere in April or May, but in my garden it's blooming in mid-June. I planted these new little bulbs two falls ago, and last year I got foliage but no blooms.
To my delight this year I have five stalks of these darling little nodding bells! Aren't they just the sweetest? Their proper name is Hyacinthoides (which means hyacinth-like) but they are also commonly known as Spanish Bluebells or Wood Hyacinth. The stalks are about 16" high, and each little bell is less than 3/4"long.
I am so pleased with them, I hope they multiply quickly. I can see myself buying more of these in the fall ... I'm quite sure I can find another spot to tuck in a few more small bulbs...  ♥♥♥











Peace,
Linda

"A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust." ~ Gertrude Jekyll

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Pretty little bells of blue - lovely!

Tomoko said...

How I like to see those pretty flowers with drops. Thank you for sharing that wonderful poem. Yes, there are many things to learn from garden. Rainy season has set here,Japanese hydrangea flowering are seen here and there in my neighborhood.
Have a good day!

GailM. said...

Sweet Blue flowers. My new flowers from last year are all coming along nicely. Love them. I could use someting blue. (test1)

eileeninmd said...

They are pretty little bells. Lovely images. Enjoy your day!

Vee said...

Oh those ate pretty little things! Right. Everything is different up here in the north.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

These are a pretty addition to your garden Linda and the bells are likely used by the fairies for hats.

Pamela Gordon said...

What a pretty blue these are! My new lilac has blooms that are just starting to open. I'm guessing it's a later blooming variety.

Jeanna said...

Gorgeous color and shape. We are currently removing all of the landscaping around our house. It was old and was too close to the house so we are getting ready to start over.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...